piab is a leader in vacuum conveying systems for powder handling, and its equipment is available through Firing Industries Ltd. The manufacturer’s sales director for vacuum conveying in North and Central America, Julie Whitten, recently wrote an article for Powder & Bulk Solids on the features that businesses should consider when selecting vacuum conveyors for handling sensitive materials. An ideal system optimizes performance while boosting overall productivity.
Fluidization, sustainability, and automation
According to Whitten, customers should look for various features when choosing piab vacuum conveying systems. Examples include pump type, filtration system, possible fluidization, flow modulation, speed-optimization capabilities, modularity, size, shape, material durability, accessories, warranties, and compliance. In addition, energy efficiency and smart operation play important roles.
The main considerations to keep in mind when selecting vacuum conveyors from Firing Industries:
- Pneumatic versus mechanical pumps. Pneumatic pumps are smaller, more compact, and lighter; they have no gears or moving parts. Mechanical pumps operate properly within ambient temperatures from zero to 37 degrees Celsius, while pneumatic units are less affected by temperature.
- Filtration system. Filters stop dust and fine particles from getting sucked into vacuum pumps and escaping into the surroundings, while protecting pumps from damage. A simple textile filter material may be perfect for powders or granule material larger than five microns.
- Fluidization. Fluidization allows compressed gas to pass through porous material, creating a cushion that decreases the coefficient of friction, so non-free-flowing material can discharge freely from the vacuum receiver or feed hopper.
- Flow modulation. This alters the way material is conveyed and offers greater user control. This is done by raising or lowering either the amount of air at the feed point or the product velocity.
- Speed optimization. Users should optimize vacuum conveying systems for speed and performance, depending on applications. The key is to maintain a controlled low, consistent velocity in the product transfer line.
- Sustainability. Pneumatic pumps can boost energy efficiency with intermittent operation.
- Automation. Industry 4.0 is leading to innovative vacuum conveying for the future.
To learn more, contact Firing Industries’ application-sales engineers at email@example.com or (877) 688-0974.