Hosokawa Micron manufactures top powder-processing technologies in equipment available in Canada through Firing Industries. The Micron powder-characteristics tester PT-X measures a range of dry-powder characteristics such as angle of repose, cohesion, aerated density, uniformity, and more.
This powder-characteristics tester from Hosokawa Micron offers numerous advantages, like reduction of user intervention, analysis accuracy and repeatability, and user-friendly software.
A glossary of properties
To get the full benefit of the PT-X’s capabilities, the user should know the measurement terminology for both “flowability” and “floodability”. Flowability means the movement of a powder from a stationary to a moving state. Firing Industries provides the following glossary of flowability measurement properties for this powder-characteristics tester:
- Angle of repose: The direct indication of the potential flowability of a powder sample.
- Compressibility: A property determined by the relative measurement of loose and packed bulk density.
- Angle of spatula: An easily determined property that gives a relative angle of internal friction of a dry-power sample.
- Cohesion: The natural attraction of dry-powder particles to each other, indicating the sample’s flowability.
- Uniformity: The ratio of particles of a given sample at the value points of d60 divided by the d10.
Floodable powder is characterized by unstable liquid-like flow. The fluidization of a mass of particles by air or other stimuli causes flooding, resulting in a flow that is usually impossible to control. Here are floodability characteristics that the PT-X measures in powder:
- Flowability: The user obtains this by using the total index value, then converting it to a value that will be part of the total floodability value.
- Angle of fall: Determined after the initial angle of repose is disrupted by a defined G-force giving the indication of a sample’s floodability.
- Angle of difference: The calculated different between the angles of repose and fall.
- Dispersibility: The scattering/dusting and/or flushing of a dry powder sample.
To learn how to prepare the PT-X, watch this video:
To learn more, contact Firing Industries’ application-sales engineers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 688-0974.